SPN Well Services provides a complementary suite of drilling, completion and production services, including drilling rigs, CATS, coiled tubing, pressure control, electric line, thru tubing, remedial pumping, production tools, and rentals. Offering both individual and packaged services, we support all phases of your well's lifecycle while helping you reduce costs and enhance production. We also offer local leadership, basin-level experience and innovative application of technologies.
POSITION: Derrick Hand- Marmarth, ND (This position is a Monday-Friday schedule, with occasional weekends. Housing is not provided.)
REPORTS TO: Operator
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt hourly
The Derrick Hand works on a well servicing unit and is responsible for performing services on oil and gas wells. The duties of the Derrick Hand include performing all well-servicing tasks from an elevated position (rod basket or tubing board). The Derrick Hand will also assist in rigging up or down, picking up or laying down rods/tubing and other functions specified by the customer or well operator. All duties are to be performed according to the company operating procedures in order to maximize the safety of all personnel at the work site and to efficient perform the task.
This position reports to the Operator and requires frequent contact with all crew members, customer representative and other service related company representatives.
- Physical ability to perform heavy manual labor
- Must have a valid driver’s license if needed to drive
- Ability to learn or have the basic knowledge of the oil field and related equipment associated with the position
- Ability to read, write and speak English to the extent she/he is able to understand verbal and written instructions as well as give verbal and written instructions
- Ability to use simple mathematical calculations using whole numbers, fractions and decimals (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication) to make job related calculations
- Performs the primary thinking called for and encompassed by the overall position definition
- Adheres to company policies and work requirements
- Assists in lining up the well servicing unit with the well, setting up the hydraulic jacks, handle pads/boards and assisting in attaching the guywires to the anchors. This position is responsible for all elevated work associated with rigging up/down (including removing horse head from pumping unit)
- The duties may include driving if required
- This position is responsible for all work performed from the rod basket and tubing board (transferring rods and tubing from the vertical racks to the elevators).
- Standing tubing will require the position to operate the elevators. Picking up or laying down tubing assists in manually lifting the tubing from the rack onto the work floor and vice versa. Rod jobs will require lifting and walking the rods to lay them down. This position may be required to work on the floor and as a Floorhand
- The position requires the ability to operate rod/tubing elevators, rod transfer, push/pull tubing, rod wrenches, associated hand tools and other associated rig tools and equipment
- The position requires various types and levels of job related training with respect to the rig operations and company’s standards operating procedures and also other specialized training as required by regulatory agencies and the company
- Position requires standing, walking, and sitting, while working either indoors or outdoors
- While performing this job, the Derrick Hand will be required to lift and carry, pull/push, reach, squat, kneel and or climb ladders or stairs
- Working conditions for this position may involve exposure to varying environmental conditions. This may include chemicals, gases, cold/heat, noise, dampness, dust, fumes, radiation and heights. Exposure to the above conditions should be handled as prescribed in the company’s safety manual and/or the company’s standard operating procedures
- Other requirements include mental, physical and manual dexterity, hand/grip strength, depth perception and any other physical attributes that enable the employee to perform the job safely according to all Company, Local, State and Federal regulations and requirements
- This position requires the ability and willingness to wear the following personal protective equipment and/or safety equipment to including, but not limited to; safety glasses, face shields, goggles, ear muffs/plugs, steel toe boots, hard hat, full body harness with applicable fall protection devices, SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), H2S detectors, slicker or TYVEK chemical suit and gloves, FRC (Fire Retardant Clothing)
- This position will have physical requirements consistent with attached physical requirement descriptions
- Passing the company’s drug screening process.
- Passing the company’s background check.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may, and probably will, be asked to perform other duties as required. Each employee, regardless of classification, is required to maintain a safe, orderly and clean workplace, using safety precautions and observing safety rules at all times.
Physical Requirements for Derrick Hand
- Amount of Each day Spent: Standing 75% Walking 15% Sitting 10%
Employee Works: Inside 10% Outside 90%
- While Performing the Job, Employee Will Be Required To:
Time within work day
How often To be in this position
Lifting/Carrying (76-140 lbs.) 4 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
Lifting/Carrying (0-75 lbs.) 15 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
Pulling/Pushing (0-75 lbs.) 15 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
To Kneel 5 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
To Squat 7 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
Climb ladders/stairs 8 times/hr 8-10 hours/day
- Physical Activity Required:
Lift Under 10 lbs. Frequently
Lift 10-25 lbs. Frequently
Lift 25-50 lbs. Frequently
Lift Over 100 lbs. Occasionally
Carry Under 10 lbs. Frequently
Carry 10-25 lbs. Frequently
Carry 25-50 lbs. Frequently
Carry Over 100 lbs. Occasionally
Reach Above Shoulder Frequently
Reach At Shoulder Frequently
Reach Below Shoulder Frequently
Excellent Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, Matching 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Superior Energy Services and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers for Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.